Home Office + Closet Refresh
SO excited to share my office + closet refresh! I've worked from home for 4+ years and now I finally have my own space to get sh*t done. To be honest, I've had this second bedroom for a minute and called it "my office" but it was ALWAYS a disaster; clothes, shoes and boxes everywhere with absolutely no organization. Check out my IG TV video to see the BEFORE - eek!
Since I brought on my right hand gal full-time (Hi, Marissa!) I knew it was time to whip the Pursuit Digital home office + closet into shape. With some serious home organization from the Life in Jeneral team, desks from Urban Outfitters, prints and accessories from Society 6 + Wilder California, and some DIY action... my office is complete. Keep scrolling for all the details including step by step details for the DIY hat + collage walls. Fun fact: the neon sign is from our wedding. Also don't forget to check out my IG TV vid with all the BTS.
The first step in my refresh was having Life in Jeneral come over and get me ORGANIZED. Aside from my old "desk" which was a table, we kept all the existing furniture that was in my OG office and created systems to help keep things organized.
One of my biggest issues is the amount of unsolicited boxes and product I receive. They were starting to pile up everywhere, so the LIJ team transformed what was originally my denim/sweater/handbag closet into a super organized set of drawers. Using the ELFA system from The Container Store they created designated drawers for boxes, product, giveaways, electronics, and more.
They moved my handbags to my clothing rack (sold out, sorry! try these though.) and utilized the coolest acrylic purse organizers to hang them! We also decided ONLY clothing that needed to be blogged about would live on the clothing rack, everything else would go into my sliding door closet located on one of the walls in my office.
Another game changer was figuring out what to do with my bathing suits. You guys, I have over 100 bathing suits (after I purged!) and with it being the summer season they were scattered everywhere. Enter clear drawer dividers and file folding of all my bathing suit into my dresser. They even put them in color order AND separated them by bikinis and one pieces. Yes, they took up two full drawers!
My actual sliding door closet was pretty clean (yay, me!) because I invested in velvet hangers years ago. They did re-organize all of my shoes and put the fancy ones in these clear shoe boxes and moved them to the top shelf in my closet to make room for all of my other shoes. It's so great to have space for EVERYTHING so that there aren't rogue shoes laying around the house/my office. (Make sure to watch my IG TV vid to see more!)
I swear, since they came and organized my office (they also did our bathroom + kitchen), Andy and I have been much more cognizant of staying organized and tidying up after ourselves. It truly makes a world of difference especially when you wake up in the morning and walk into an organized house!
The Collage + Neon Sign Wall
This came to me in a dream... haha, not really, I think it was a combination of perusing pinterest and wanting to find a way to re-use the neon sign from my wedding! (deets on that here). I wanted the vibe to be a mix of wanderlust, inspiration, and artistic photos from our wedding.
Society 6 came through with some incredible prints (you can find them all here) and I also infused a few tropical selects from Wilder California along with wedding prints from our photogs Gina and Ryan. The process:
- To make sure all the colors worked together I actually starting pinning prints I liked on Pinterest
- From there I decided what prints to order! Honestly the # of prints was all a guess but it ended up working out.
- I laid out all the prints on the floor to get an idea of how I wanted it to look (make sure to watch my IG TV vid to see more!)
- Using a tape measure and chalk I marked the top and bottom points on the wall as well as the far left and right points to give me boundaries
- With a little washi tape we were able to put up all the prints
- For the neon sign we actually just eyed it and used nails to hold it up!
Decor + Furniture
Aside from the collage wall + hat wall (keep scrolling for those deets) I wanted to keep the decor super minimal. The least clutter the better is my new motto! I ended picking out the below from Society 6 to tie everything together:
- Serving Trays - these are on my desk and dresser as accent pieces but also act as container-like-pieces to hold any miscellaneous items
- Pillows - one of my favorite things about S6 is that almost every print/photo comes in a plethora of products: pillows, coasters, prints, serving trays, comforter, etc. so it's easy to merchandise a room based on a style or color. I have this serving tray on my dresser and also got it in a pillow for the chairs!
- Coasters - this is also the same print as one of my pillows and serving trays. You all know I need a coaster for my daily Starbucks!
(see all my Society 6 picks here)
As I mentioned above, I didn't go to crazy with new furniture because this was truly a refresh! The only new pieces I got were our desks. When I spotted this desk on Urban Outfitters I knew it would be perfect for the space. It is actually pretty big but the glass and minimal design make it look a lot more compact than it is. I love how it clean it looks!
My dresser is CB2 and sadly doesn't come in the mint color anymore. Same goes for the white ladder shelf: Ikea from over 5+ yrs ago. I've linked to some similar options below:
The Hat Wall
If you watched the IG TV vid then you know the hat wall actually already existed just on a different wall. Hat walls are my FAVE because they look amazing and they're SO easy to do. All you need are nails, a hammer, and hats. You can design it however you want - across, up and down, totally staggered. I honestly don't get too scientific with it, just start nailing in the center and go out on each side. That's it!